Sunday, May 23, 2010

Second Thoughts?

Signet ring belonging to William Strachey
(Jamestown Rediscovery page at www.preservationvirginia.org/rediscovery)

So as I sit here next to a plate of warm cookies that my husband just brought me (fresh from the oven and with a side of cold milk, no less!) I'm beginning to question the wisdom of leaving home to go play in the dirt for 6 weeks of hot and steamy Virginia summer. To be fair, I've been questioning it for several days now. As the fateful day approaches, my little girls are getting clingier and my anxiety is growing. I'll be missing my anniversary and my little one's fourth birthday (although the Puppy-themed party she requested has already been thrown and seemed to be a great success with her school friends!) Why on earth am I exchanging warm cookies, snuggles with my family and my extra-comfy bed for a sparse apartment in a strange (if undeniably historic) town? (Towne?) ;)

I guess the 'undeniably historic' comment - added as an afterthought - is perhaps the whole reason I'll be making the long drive to Jamestown. Despite my homebody inclinations, I find the as-yet-undiscovered secrets of James Fort have a stronger pull. I haven't been on a dig site in almost a year, and I can't wait to get back in the dirt! While I'm sure I could have found a field school closer to home, the buried artifacts of the first successful English settlement in the New World hold an unrivaled appeal. Additionally, a six-week immersion in the world of historical archaeology - early 17th-Century, contact period, Tidewater archaeology no less - will be an excellent preparation for both the next two years of study at ISU and my future career in Maryland (whether in the field, in the lab, or moving on to a PhD).

In all of my incredible experiences on sites in Maryland, the artifacts that most enthralled me were the early-early ones. Sherds of Bartmann jugs and Delftware, pipe stems and bowls, and especially the manganese purples and cobalt blues of Westerwald stoneware were my absolute favorite finds. I am so excited at the potential for more exciting finds at James Fort! Dr. Kelso and his team have already found incredible artifacts: a compass that quite probably belonged to John Smith, a silver "ear picker" (with a scoop on one end to clean your ears and a pick on the other to clean your teeth!), and - my personal favorite - a signet ring belonging to colonist and author William Strachey. He was shipwrecked in a hurricane on Bermuda with other passengers of the Sea Venture, living on the island for several months as castaways before they were able to cobble two ships together to sail the final leg of the journey to James Fort. Many scholars now believe that it was Strachey's letter home, describing the hurricane and subsequent months, that inspired William Shakespeare's final solo play The Tempest.

It's an amazing story - just one of the many, many stories Jamestown has to tell. I am so excited to play a small part in discovering and helping to tell the complex stories of the early years of settlement at James Fort. The struggles of the colonists and the many incredible coincidences that contributed to the final success of the colony boggle the mind. And did I mention - just to completely geek out for a moment - how excited I am that June 7th (the day field school begins) will mark the 400th anniversary of the day the colonists, including the newly-arrived castaways from the Sea Venture, boarded ship and sailed for home, intending never to return? Of course, they met the Lord De La Ware's convoy of supply ships before they made it to the mouth of the James, returning to rebuild what was left of the Fort that the Starving Time had left in ruins. What are the odds that a fleet of ships, sailing from England, would arrive with mere hours to spare and intercept the ill and weary colonists heading for home?

I guess that helps to explain why - in spite of my reservations and deep, despairing Mommy-guilt - I am still really excited about going to Jamestown in a few weeks. I'm anxious and worried (after all, the last time I was on my own for 6-weeks+ was probably when I student taught in Britain!!) but I am also daydreaming about what adventures and discoveries lie ahead. This summer will be full of hard, dirty work in the hot sun, and I am sure I will have many moments when I wish I was home with my family. I am sure I might question my choice as I sit alone in my tiny apartment. But I don't think I will ever regret the knowledge and experience I will gain at Jamestown. And I am sure I will be proud to say I was part of the team to bring new information on the founding of our nation to light.

Update (6/7/10) - I was disappointed to learn that the Strachey ring is on loan in Bermuda for the forseeable future, as the islands celebrate their 400th anniversary. But for the "Sea Venture" and the castaways' later accounts of the beauty and promise the islands held, they may not have been colonized for several more years. The wreck features prominently in their history, as well as Jamestown's. But I would have liked to see that ring . . . :D

No comments:

Post a Comment